In a flurry of movement, I have decided to take my very first step towards earning my masters - starting this coming monday!
Since I am working and taking courses at the same time, I've decided to not risk my grades and to retain my sanity and space out my classes a bit (which the academic advisors told me vehemently to do). So I will be taking one this summer and two in the fall instead of the planned enrollment in three fall courses.
My harvard ID card will be issued tomorrow morning (I feel dorky and pretentious to be excited about it, but I am excited) and I will have access to not just wireless, but all the library systems, music practice rooms (free!) and, get this, FREE PRINTING. It just reminds me that yet again that the folks at Cornell were greedy poopfaces. I'm sure that we'd been charged for everything, including breathing.
Anyway, the course I am taking is a proseminar of 15 students, and is required for my degree. It's a course devoted to the history and effects of European colonization in Africa, so of course I am SUPER excited. I've always wondered if the aftermaths of the colonization times were like a ripple effect, and the problems in Africa that I've seen and heard of in recent times were only the outer edge of the deeper historical cause.
In preparation for next week's classes, I'm reading "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad and a book on this bastard called King Leopold II who apparently decimated 8-10 million people in the Congo territory. That's just about the number of people who live in Los Angeles County, twice the population of Norway and almost twice the number of Jews killed in the holocaust. What do you do to stitch up the wounds from a decimation of such a sickening magnitude?
May be the answer is widespread recognition of the tragedy and then an eventual restitution of apologies and forgiveness. But why don't students learn about this in world history class?
Well, that's enough ranting. Hopefully, I will learn more in-depth material and come up with the solution for world peace. Oh and end hunger on the side. If I have any spare time, I will figure out how to make cute, cheap and comfortable high heels.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Minju, you make me smile. I loved reading your rant- made me feel like we were back in Salem together again. :) Thanks for the call the other day. Hormonal influctions have calmed since then, and I am doing better. We just took out a loan to buy our first home in 7 years of marriage- a 3 bedroom trailer! So I'm trying to figure out how to make it the most beautiful home ever, without losing sight of why God brought us here in the first place. I miss being involved with worship and teaching- feeling like I have the ability to ignite passion in others. Some seasons just don't seem as exhilirating as others- but I guess that's life.
Mekeisha! I miss you and your family...we are like-souls, you and I! Congrats on your first home!! That's really exciting...God is a God of beauty - I bet He's thrilled at the things you are planning for the home. You know, even if you are not teaching or leading worship, I bet you ignite passion for God in Ethan, Jasmine and even little Maya :)
Post a Comment